Replace Condemnation with Confidence | Daily Devotionals Just 4 We
Advertisement
Share Detail


Replace Condemnation with Confidence

Advertisement
By Rick Warren

“Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God” (1 John 3:21 NIV).

You’ve probably noticed that your confidence ebbs and flows. It varies greatly from day to day: one day you're up and one day you're down. What causes that?

In part, it’s about what is going on inside of you. The Bible teaches, “If our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God” (1 John 3:21 NIV). When we face life’s hurts, habits, and hang-ups, it’s important that we walk out of self-condemnation and into the faithful confidence that God forgives us.

What causes self-condemnation?

Unresolved guilt: King David wrote, “There was a time when I wouldn’t admit what a sinner I was. But my dishonesty made me miserable and filled my days with frustration” (Psalms 32:3 TLB).

This reminds me of a sign I saw the other day: A clean engine produces more power. That's true in humans, too. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the man who wrote Sherlock Holmes, once pulled a prank on twelve prominent Englishmen. He sent them an anonymous note that said, "All is found out. Flee at once." Within twenty-four hours, eight of those men had left the country! Guilt destroys your confidence.

Unrealistic expectations: Also known as perfectionism—the feeling that I must be flawless, that I must be perfect, that I must please everybody, that I always have to do more, that I’m not allowed to relax.

If you're a perfectionist, your favorite phrase is, “I should . . . I must . . . I ought . . . I have to.” You’re always doing more.

If you're an average person, you have three things on your daily ‘To Do’ list. You get one of them done, you leave one of them unfinished, and the third one you just forget about. You go home and put your feet up at night and feel good about yourself.

If you're a perfectionist, you have 29 things on your daily ‘To Do’ list. You finish 28 of them and you go home and feel like a failure! The Bible says, “Even perfection has its limits, but [God’s] commands have no limit” (Psalms 119:96 NLT).

Both guilt and perfectionism cause a lack of confidence in our lives. Tomorrow we’ll look at how we can replace condemnation with confidence.
Next Back Home
Advertisement
Daily Devotionals Just 4 We | Privacy Policy | ToS | DMCA | Contact Us | laptop driver
- Powered by Blogger.
Daily Devotionals Just 4 We | Privacy Policy | ToS | DMCA | Contact Us - Powered by Blogger.